This plant really made me smile when I saw it today. It is such a room brightener! The Lemon-Lime Dracaena, a fairly new hybrid of the Dracaena dermensis 'Warneckei', is another easy-to-grow plant. It's sturdy and delightfully striped leaves can add a touch of liveliness to your home or office space.
These dracaenas are usually sold in larger pots, to be used as a floor plant. They can live with you for years and can eventually grow as high as your ceiling! They are slow growers and can be top pruned, if necessary.
This one was waiting to be sold at the great florist in McLean VA, where I once worked myself. You can send floral arrangement or indoor plants almost anywhere in the world from there:
- Bright indirect light or some morning sun is best. They will thrive in front of a north-facing or east window.
- A plant in a 6" (15cm) plant should be watered when the soil is dry about 1/2"below the soil surface. A plant is a 10"(25cm) pot can dry out about an 1" or so. It is better to err on the dry side, if you aren't sure.
- Water a plant in a 6" (15cm) diameter pot with about a pint (almost 1/2 liter) of water.
- Water a plant in an 8" (20cm) diameter pot with about one quart (close to a liter) of water.
- A dracaena in a 10" (25cm) diameter pot should take up to 2 quarts (almost 2 liters) when necessary.
- Fertilize regularly for best growth.
- Dust the leaves occasionally. Gently cleaning the leaves with water every once in a while is appreciated. Take it outdoors and use your garden hose on gentle, or with a sprayer in a shower. Clean leaves take in more light and breathe easier.