This plant really made me smile when I saw it today. It is such a room brightener! The Lemon-Lime Dracaena, a fairly new hybrid of the Dracaena Warneckei, is another easy-to-grow plant. Its sturdy and delightfully striped leaves can add a touch of liveliness to your home or office space.
These dracaenas are usually sold in larger pots, to be used as a floor plant. They can live with you for years and eventually grow as high as your ceiling! They are slow growers and can be top pruned, if necessary.
This one was waiting to be sold at the great florist in McLean VA, where I once worked myself. You can send floral arrangement or indoor plants almost anywhere in the world from there:
- Bright indirect light or some morning sun is best. They will thrive in front of a north-facing or east window.
- A plant in a 6" (15cm) plant should be watered when the soil is dry about 1/2"below the soil surface. A plant is a 10"(25cm) pot can dry out about an 1" or so. It is better to err on the dry side, if you aren't sure.
- Water a 6" (15cm) plant with about a pint (almost 1/2 liter)of water and a dracaena in a 10" (25cm) pot should take up to 2 quarts (almost 2 liters) when necessary.
- Fertilize regularly for best growth.
- Dust the leaves occasionally. Gently cleaning the leaves with water every once in a while, with a garden hose outdoors or with a sprayer in a shower, would be appreciated. It will help them take in more light and breathe easier.
The Indoor Garden TV show