With soft, white striping running through its deep green leaves, the Dracaena Warneckei is a vibrant and handsome addition to any home or office. This one was grown from a plant that came in a dish garden. Two of its stalks were grown by cutting off part of another stalk and rooting it directly in the potting soil. It has taken a couple of years to grow this size and you can certainly find one on the market this size or larger if you have a place ready for it.
The Dracaena deremensis 'Warneckei', its full official name, is among the easy-to-grow plants. It can tolerate quite low light, for awhile anyway, but does very well with bright indirect light. This native of tropical Africa requires very little attention and is a great choice for a beginner. It will happily thrive with someone who can not devote a lot of time and attention to indoor plants but can appreciate the experience of living things in their immediate environment.
- Bright indirect light or some morning sun is best. They will thrive in front of a north-facing or east window.
- A plant in a 6" (15cm) plant should be watered when the soil is dry about 1/2"below the soil surface. A plant is a 10"(25cm) pot can dry out about an inch or two (about 3-5cm). It is better to err on the dry side, if you aren't sure.
- Water a 6" (15cm) plant with about a pint (almost 1/2 liter)of water and a dracaena in a 10" (25cm) pot should take up to 2 quarts (almost 2 liters) when necessary.
- Fertilize regularly for best growth.
- Dust the leaves occasionally. Gently cleaning the leaves with water every once in a while, with a garden hose outdoors or with a sprayer in a shower, would be appreciated. It will help them take in more light and breathe easier.
|This is the same Dracaena Warneckei as the first pic, posted in 2014. This pic was taken in 2020. The plant above was moved to live in front a window with some sun for awhile. It has been divided into two plants and this is one of them. |
***To watch short video clips from my 90's TV series, click below:
Post a Comment