I stopped by a lovely florist, where I had worked for many years, and came upon these beautiful calathea specimens. Dramatic and colorful they are! Calatheas are fairly easy to keep looking lively and will add, at least, a splash of vibrancy to your home.
indirect light or some direct sun. Full afternoon sun is too much. Full
morning sun or some late afternoon would be great.
thoroughly when the top of the soil is quite dry. A plant in an 8"(20
cm) diameter pot will use about 1 quart of water when necessary.
- A prayer plant in a 6" diameter pot will use about 1 pint of water, when necessary
- It's best to water plants by checking the dryness of the sole rather than by a set time such as once a week.
- They do appreciate some humidity so you may want to mist them daily with water although they adapt well to most home environments.
- Fertilize regularly except when it is in a resting mode
- The Calathea can be propagated by division